Skip Navigation Links

Game of Memes


 The final project in Computer Science 2 class was to make some kind of game using Java and LWJGL. I partnered up with another student and we wanted to make a large game. A lot of design went into Game of Memes, from game mechanics to new cards, but unfortunately, we did not have the time to implement everything. The buttons, cards, cardbacks, and the board were created by us in Photoshop. We worked on this project for about two months including design. Writing the game took thousands of lines of code but was simple overall; if we rewrote the game today, I am confident that our code would be better and shorter. We only ran into one major issue and that was a memory leak which caused the game to crash after five minutes. After hours of commenting out blocks of code and running the game, we finally figured out the memory leak was coming from the font used for health/mana. Changing the font fixed the issue. In our class we had a small competition and our game placed second. I am proud of how well this game turned out because it was both my partner and I's first time creating a game.

IT Systems Monitor


 While working at Bassett Furniture, I was tasked to create an internal website which would show the status of our stores' networks. Our network administrator created a script in Visual Basic which would ping each store and set their status in a SQL database. Stores with network anomalies would be pushed to the top. Stores are also color coded depending on the issue: Red means the network is completely down, Blue means the LAN is down and WAN is up, Yellow means the store network is pinging high. When a store turns red, a sound plays and it starts scrolling across the top of the page. You could also see a history of downtime if you click on any store. I also included a map of the physical locations of our stores. This can be helpful if a storm is going though a region of the United States and multiple stores go down; if the down stores are grouped together you can assume it is a related issue.

 There was also some debate around the office as to the colors and ordering of stores. I included a settings panel where they could customize various elements of the webpage including background color and ordering alphabetical or last down. One person wanted the website to be more festive, so I included an option to enable holiday/seasonal gifs on the sides of the page.




 This was not my first Twitter bot, however, it was the first one I had made without building off of another application. The bot is made in Python. When the Python program is ran, it gets the latest weather conditions for a certain zip code, and then tweets it from the specific Twitter account. I have the script running on a Raspberry Pi using Cron every 30 minutes. I also have published the source code for this bot on my GitHub account.


Dark Nightmode For Google Chrome (theme)


 One day I decided I wanted to try something I had never done before; I wanted to get a project I have made onto some web store. I figured I would try to make a Google Chrome theme since that seems pretty niche. The most interesting part of this project was that I learned Google Chrome themes are almost entirely JSON objects. I had worked with JSON before in my Reddit to Twitter project from Computer Science 2 so I felt right at home and was able to pick up how to create this theme fairly quickly. It was a lot of testing after you made changes to make sure everything looked correct. The part that took the longest was getting the Google logo in the new tab frequently visited websites to show up in color (it was otherwise entirely white); I had to lookup some documentation on how to do that since it was fairly obscure. Overall, I would say this project was a success since the theme currently has over 1000 users with some positive reviews on the Chrome Webstore. Here is the theme if you would like to take a look.